Bih-Tau Sung, Founder and Artistic Director
Bih Tau Sung is the Founder and Artistic Director of the Dancing Sun Foundation, and is an acclaimed interpreter and choreographer of ballet, modern, and traditional Chinese dance opera techniques.
Her professional career started in 1974 when she was recruited to join the prestigious Cloud Gate Dance Theater, Taiwan’s first professional modern dance company. In the decade that followed, she performed, instructed, choreographed and danced with recognition throughout major artistic centers in Europe, Asia, and the United States.
Bih Tau independently continued her artistic quest after she moved to Cupertino in 1986. In addition to receiving her MA in Dance Emphasis from San Jose State University, she is also a certified Pilates instructor and Laban Movement Analyst, and has taught private and college level classes. In 1999, Bih Tau founded the Dancing Sun Foundation where she is the artistic director and has performed in the San Jose Downtown Arts Series and San Jose Performing Arts Series. In support of Dancing Sun Foundation, she has received numerous awards and grants.
– 2006 Artist Fellowship from Arts Council Silicon Valley of San Jose
– Outstanding Creativity Choreography Project from sjDANCEco
– Artist Fellowship from José Limón Dance Company of New York
– The Recipient of the Underrepresented Minority Graduate Student Fellowship from SJSU
– Hildegard Spreen Award for excellence in dance from SJSU
– Applied Materials Excellence in the Arts
– Project & Program Grant form San Jose Office of Cultural Affair
– Community Arts Fund from Arts Council Silicon Valley
– Project Mini-Grants from City of San Jose
– Organizational Effectiveness Grant from Community Foundation Silicon Valley
– Organization Development Grant from San Jose Office of Cultural Affair
She was invited to many national and international dance festivals and conferences, including:
– 2006-2007 Taiwanese American Cultural Festival, Union Square, SF
– WestWaveDanceFestival.2005 of San Francisco
– 2004 International Dance Conference of Taipei
– Festival of Austronesian Cultures in Taitung Taiwan 2004
– 2000 FEET International Dance Festival in Philadelphia
– DANCE ON’97 International Dance Festival in Hong Kong
Her dance works have twice been awarded by the
– Southwest Regional American College Dance Festival Association
– Earning a first place award by the State Dance Competition in Taiwan
– Overall Recreation Division Championship in Regional Dance Competition, CA
– World Finals Competitive Championship in National Dance Competition, CA
She has also been working as an instructor and a commissioned choreographer for various dance organizations including Cliff Keuter’s New Dance Company, Asian American Dance Collective of San Francisco, Limón West Dance Project, San Jose State University, Chinese-American Association of Minnesota (Dance Theatre), Kaohsiung Lin-Ya Junior High of Taiwan, West Valley Community College, The Colorado College and San Jose City College. In addition to professional and college teaching experiences, she has taught more than a thousand children and adults since she started the Bih-Tau School of Dance in 1986.
Currently, she is a part time assistant professor of the Taipei National University of the Arts, Taiwan.